Saturday, April 01, 2006

Barb's comments on movie Mirrormask (2005)

MirrormaskSo, I watched the movie "Mirrormask" for the first time last night. If you haven't seen it, or haven't heard of it, it's something you really ought to seek out. It's a film that was the result of a collaboration between Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, and the folks at the Jim Henson Company (trust me, not a single Muppet made it into the film). I thought it an extraordinary piece of art--visually stunning and innovative, disturbing and funny in equal measure. The story...well, the story is thin and conventional, but it's built into a film that takes visual effects to a new and completely uncharted level. The humor is very much Neil Gaiman's, which I love, and which can carry me through the biggest plot holes you can imagine. And the film also has the single most disturbing use of a Carpenters' song EVER. Do yourself a favor, check it out and lose yourself for a couple of hours.

No comments: