Sunday, February 11, 2007

Amy's bookshelf :: A Soul in a Bottle by Tim Powers

A Soul in a Bottle"A Soul in a Bottle" by Tim Powers is a book of novelette length from Subterranean Press, copyright 2006. My copy is the deluxe hardcover edition. It has wonderful black & white illustrations on the dust jacket and in the interior by J.K. Potter. The print is large enough to make it run 82 pages. This is probably not something you'd find shelved in the average book store; it's a specialty item for collectors and Tim Powers fans such as myself.

The story goes like this. I think the cover is a bit misleading. In Hollywood, at the Chinese Theater, book trader George Sydney encounters a striking red-headed woman. They share poetry quotes and then a kiss. George longs to see her again. When he does, before they can go to a bar for a drink, she literally disappears. George has fallen in love with a ghost. She, he learns, is the poet Cheyenne Fleming, who accidentally shot herself back in 1969. Cheyenne was angry with her sister Rebecca. Cheyenne wants George's help so she can go back to the past, so she won't have died.

"A Soul in a Bottle" is colorfully told, and memorable. George apparently drinks and Cheyenne isn't an angel. It's not your typical ghost story or love story. I'd recommend as a good, short read.

5 comments:

Aaron Hughes said...

So did you like it enough to nominate it for a Best Novelette Hugo?

Anonymous said...

I'm still reading novelettes, but I did like it. Ask me again on the 25th.

Aaron Hughes said...

I thought we had until March 3rd?

Anonymous said...

The Hugo nominations ballot has to be received by March 3rd, not mailed by that date. I plan to give my ballot some days to get itself to California.

Aaron Hughes said...

You buy a few more days if you submit it electronically.